Cemetery of Alcoy

In 1812 the first ventilated cemetery outside the city of Alcoy was inaugurated, the so-called Old Cemetery. In 1885, due to its proximity to the city centre and the severe cholera epidemic, the site of the current Cantagallet or Sant Antoni Abat Municipal Cemetery was refurbished.

The cemetery was to become a true space of social representation, a faithful reflection of Alcoy’s industrial society, which in turn would generate different typologies and enclosures over time.

These heritage values have allowed it to become part of the European Cemetery Route, considered a Cultural Itinerary by the Council of Europe, from 2012.