Dedicated to the patron saint of the city, the current temple was blessed in 1921. It is a neo-Romanesque historicist building, with a careful interior decoration in the neo-Byzantine style. Designed by the architect Timoteo Briet (1913), in which Vicente Valls Gadea also participated.
The apse of the church is decorated with a large pictorial mural by F. Cabrera Cantó, which represents the mythical intervention of Saint George to help the people of Alcoy in 1276, when the town was attacked by Muslim troops. This iconography summarises the faith and tradition of a people who honour their patron saint, Saint George, with the annual Moors and Christians Festival.