Medieval Walls

The Christian foundation of the town of Alcoy dates back to 1256, and from 1305 it had its first urban expansion or suburb, which in the 14th century was called Pobla Nova de Sant Jordi or Vilanova d’Alcoi.

The Raval Vell was defended by a wall and several towers, of which the remains of the so-called Torre de l’Andana (in Placeta de les Xiques), Torre de N’Aiça and Torre-portal de Riquer, which was at the same time the gateway to the town on the old road to Castile or Madrid, have been preserved.

At the beginning of the 18th century, on the occasion of the War of Succession, a bastion was built next to the Torre de N’Aiça. Years later, the towers were adapted for housing and a wider gate – called the Arc de Sant Roc – was opened on the wall in Carrer de la Puríssima to allow access for carriages through Carrer de Sant Roc.