It saves the river Molinar and allows communication between the city centre and the Viaduct district and the road to Callosa d’En Sarrià. The project was designed by the engineer Prospero Lafarga, and the engineer Enrique Vilaplana Juliá took part in its construction.
The Viaduct was inaugurated in 1907 and received the name of Canalejas in honour of the deputy to the Parliament for the district of Alcoy, Mr. José Canalejas Méndez.
It is a metal structure of 352 tons of steel, which rests on three pillars and two abutments. The bridge is 162 metres long and its maximum height was originally 54 metres. At the time it was one of the most remarkable works of Spanish engineering.