Castle of Banyeres de Mariola

Quintessential exponent of Islamic culture in Banyeres, rises to 830 meters and focuses all overview of the town for its large dimensions. Rebuilt in its entirety, although some traces of its original construction are visible.

The different enclosures that constitute it, bring us closer to the past and their lifestyles. It consists of a polygonal floor plan, double walled, with a highlight: the Tribute Tower from the Almohad period (XII-XIII centuries), built by the technique of rammed earth (lime, sand, water and small stones). From the top of the tower, you can see four provinces (Albacete, Murcia, Alicante and Valencia).

In addition, the castle has been witness to several wars. So, we have to make special mention of the War of Succession in 1705 when it hosted the population, protecting them from fires and seiges, who showed loyalty to Philip V, and subsequently obtained the title of noble, faithful, loyal and true villa. This text currently still appears on the shield of the municipality.